BRING COMMENT TO LIFE
A magazine at its heart is an aspirational community. But so often we read something, put it down, and move on. Gather a group of six to ten people together to share a meal and conversation around the topic of the latest Comment.
Charting Social Change
Vol 41 | No 1
- Where do you fall on the top-down versus bottom-up question of social change? Why?
- Is conversion–whether individual or societal–more about fulfillment or overthrow?
- Does online life change the nature of your relationships or just foreground your desire for connection?
- How does the concept of “spiritual motherhood” strike you? Can you recall a time when you’ve been the beneficiary of its logic?
- What broad cultural shift has been hardest on you over the last decade? Conversely, is there one that has eased the way for greater faithfulness?
We recommend a Spring Vegetable Gnocchi paired with Domaine de l’Aumonier, Touraine, Sauvignon Blanc. A special thanks to Amy at Team Vino for the wine pairing!
The Restoration of the Human
Vol 40 | No 4
- What types of experiences draw you to wonder? What inhibits it?
- Is humanity a quantifiable thing? Have you ever had a time when you felt fully human?
- Have you ever refused to do something because you feel it diminishes your, or someone else’s, humanity?
- Is suffering intrinsic to being human? Why or why not?
- How do you talk to your children about what sex is and is for? If you don’t have kids, how do you think you would talk to them about it?
- What practices can help us recognize and value the humanity of those with whom we radically disagree?
This bold and delicious Moqueca Baiana (Brazilian fish stew) cooks up in less than thirty minutes.
The State of Our Friendships
Vol 40 | No 3
- How do you define friendship?
- What makes good boundaries in friendship?
- Would you ever consider formalizing a friendship in any way? For what reason(s)?
- Can friendship be made into a political policy?
- Do you find friendship to be an aid to creativity or a hindrance? Or both?
- Do you welcome “brutal friends”? Reflect on a time when you were grateful for a friend’s correction.
- Has a friendship ever cost you?
We have yet to meet someone who doesn’t love these Banh Mi Bowls.
Remember the Spheres
Vol 40 | No 2
- How many dimensions do you feel your life has at present? What are they?
- Which sphere seems most abnegated today? What does our common life lose as a result? What would it take to reactivate it?
- What examples of healthy cross-pollination have you observed in our public life today? Where have norms been blurred or switched in unhealthy ways?
- What has had more of a formative influence on your loves and commitments: spheres or “scenes”?
- What sources do you go to for greater integration between head, heart, and helping hand? What additional sources could you try?
- Where do the communities in your life overlap? Where do you wish they would or wouldn’t?
Break your Lenten fasts and celebrate the spheres with Crêpes Suzette.